TargetShooting Canada

Re: Victim of Police Raid

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry (74.13.115.58) on August 21, 2011 at 22:35:37:

In Reply to: Victim of Police Raid posted by Anonymous on August 14, 2011 at 15:15:37:

Best advice is to seek legal counsel and do not speak to anyone regarding the incident other than your lawyer. There was talk of this on sun media last week. Similar issue regarding a gun collector. Seems the law regarding registration provides police with entry and seizure rights that strip law abiding gun owners of constitutional rights. When you register your gun, you waive your rights. Illegal gun owners on the other hand seem to have more rights. Since they do not register their firearms, the police powers of entry and seizure do not apply and the police must apply for and present a warrant (which requires that they present evidence to the judge or j.p. to obtain that warrant).

: I am a legal firearm owner and law abiding citizen who has volunteered extensively in my community. I have never broken any law (with the exception of a speeding) and have a clean record. I am a blood and organ donor.
: I say this as both a warning and because I need help.

: Recently I was a victim of a police raid. I had a roommate I had never met prior to moving in. He knew I had a gun because he'd seen the safe in my room numerous times and I told him I would take him to a range with me someday (he was applying to the police as I was). Eventually he started acting really strange so I stopped speaking with him.

: Well one day last week I woke up to someone banging very loudly on my locked bedroom door demanding I open it. When I opened it to my surprise there were 4 police officers present. They asked me (more like demanded) where my gun was and I replied in my safe. I asked them what was going on and they did not tell me. After they unlocked my safe and the second case inside the safe in which I had my unloaded handgun locked. They charged me with multiple counts of improper storage of a firearm.

: I am facing potential jail time (according to an arresting officer). I looked up the legal storage regulations everywhere and it seems that my firearm was locked up legally.
: They seized my firearm and I have a court date coming up.
: They claimed the reason they were present was because my roommate was intimidated by me. I asked them when I had intimidated him since I was asleep when they raided my house.

: I cannot believer I was treated like a criminal for owning a legal firearm. I need advice/help.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive