TargetShooting Canada

Re: Got my PAL. What's my next step?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Lysack (99.232.195.232) on June 09, 2010 at 14:02:18:

In Reply to: Got my PAL. What's my next step? posted by Robert on May 08, 2010 at 13:24:42:

Wether you can try out different guns is really up to the owner. The "club" does not usually have policy on this. Some clubs e.g. Stouffville, encourage it as they also sell guns, but mainly pistols and rifles so this would not be a good choice if you want to shoot shotgun. But I'm sure if you visited the club you talk about, quite often existing member gun owners are very willing to talk at length about their experiences, different ammo, and gun collection and let you pop off a few rounds.

My opinion - A good all around general all-purpose shotgun is Remington model 870. Not too expensive, and, a good large selection of barrels for multpurpose uses (bird/target barrels, sabot, rifled and unrifled slug barrels etc. etc.. If when you decide to "specialize", you can get shotguns designed for one purpose only, and the sky is the limit pricewise if you need the best gun for super competitive shooting at top national competitive level. Most people don;t make it that far.

: I'm interested in getting into the shooting sports. I haven't fired a rifle since 1984 when I was in the Reserves. I'm thinking shooting at clay pigeons would be interesting.

: I live in Scarborough and have contacted the Oshawa Skeet and Gun club asking if I could come out and try shooting there. The gun club I got the information from for taking the safety course and obtaining my PAL had recommended them and thought that members there would let me try different rifles and give me advice on different rifles before I purchased one that would suit me; but the lady who answered the phone there suggested I first buy a shot gun and then visit their club.

: While I certainly adapted to the FNC1s I fired in the reserves, the gun shop owner's advice seemed to make more sense; ie trying different rifles to find what suited me before I purchased it.

: any advice?

: Thank you and Best Regards, Robert

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive