TargetShooting Canada

Re: 25 meter rapid fire; range dimentions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark B. (204.237.46.189) on March 16, 2010 at 11:26:22:

In Reply to: Re: 25 meter rapid fire; range dimentions posted by Patrick on March 15, 2010 at 17:51:32:

Dan - building a timer is a royal pain in the backside. Somebody's already been there and done that so buying an off-the-shelf timer is likely the easiest and most reliable way to go. Take a look at www.targettimers.com . This fellow, Hans Kolpin, is local to the Ottawa area. His timers are used in several local ranges and he's sold lots of them to ranges throughout Canada and the US. If you've seen or shot the rapidfire airgun events at the CAGP then it was a Targettimers unit that was used to do the timing for those events. They work well and have all the features Patrick mentioned in his note below.

(No, I don't have any financial or other interest in Targettimers. But I do know what went into building those timers and can assure you that getting accurate timing is not easy.)

Also, keep in mind that for international matches turning targets are not used. The electronic targets use lights - red for don't shoot, green for shoot. If you're wanting to build targets to train on then you'll want to give consideration to having the appropriate lights so you can get accustomed to triggering your firing sequence based on that visual stimulus. It doesn't sound like a big change but you'd be surprised how much different it is to shoot on electronic targets versus turning targets. We get really, really accustomed to listening for the turning mechanism and we use that to anticipate the targets turning. You don't get that opportunity to anticipate when using electronic targets, hence my suggestion to consider having lights just to train your brain to use the lights.

Hope this helps.

: Looking at teh timer, I'd also build in 10 and 20 seconds, for Standard Pistol, plus 3/7 second face/edge for Centre and Sport Pistol. If you're going to do all that work, you may as well go all the way.

: Dan: If you'd like, you can contact me off-line, to arrange for a visit to the Aurora Gun Club. I can show you our pneumatic turning target system (11 targets at 25m).

: Take care.
: Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive