TargetShooting Canada

Re: reeves revolver

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike T. (205.250.100.203) on February 15, 2009 at 02:28:27:

In Reply to: Re: reeves revolver posted by gordon on February 14, 2009 at 19:43:39:

Simple answer: Yes, a sight change will likely be required, but by how much is not as easily answered. It depends upon several factors: muzzle velocity of your load, your point of aim at 25 vs 50, whether the target at 25 is at the same height as the one at 50 (supposed to be, of course, but not always true - and for you, seated, the 25-yd target is going to appear higher even if it is at the same level as the 50-yard one).
I think you will have to do some testing at both distances. Probably best to start by sighting-in at 50 and then see how many clicks change needed to centre the group at 25 (I'd expect you would have to move the sights down, but whether four clicks or fourteen I couldn't say. Perhaps Patrick Haynes has some experience to offer?)
There are external ballistics tables in some of the reloading books that might help you calculate a 'ball park' figure. Sorry I can't help more than this.
Regards,
Mike

: Mike,

: Thanks for that.

: Now how about a little advice on sights. Does the change from 25 to fifty yards require a change in elevation? Or is the trajectory of the bullet at these distances so flat that this is unneccesary? I would be shooting .38 target loads.

: Best Regards,

: Gordon

: : Gordon,
: : Here are the dimensions of the reduced-distance NRA targets:
: : Rule 4.4 20 yard slow fire - 7, 8, 9 and 10 rings black. Target No. B-4.
: : 10 ring . . . . . . . . . . . 1.12 in
: : 9 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.88 in
: : 8 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.72 in
: : 7 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.73 in
: : 6 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.04 in
: : 5 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.72 in
: : 4 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8.84 in

: : Rule 4.5 20 yard timed or rapid fire - 9 and 10 rings black. Target No. B-5.
: : X ring . . . . . . . . . . . 1.12 in
: : 10 ring . . . . . . . . . . . 2.25 in
: : 9 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.76 in
: : 8 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.44 in
: : 7 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.46 in
: : 6 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.08 in

: : Rule 4.6 25 yard slow fire - 7, 8, 9 and 10 rings black. Target No. B-16.
: : X ring . . . . . . . . . . . 0.67 in
: : 10 ring . . . . . . . . . . . 1.51 in
: : 9 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.60 in
: : 8 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.82 in
: : 7 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.32 in
: : 6 ring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.22 in

: : Rule 4.7 25 yard rapid or timed fire - Exactly the same target as the 50 yard slow fire except that only the 9 and
: : 10 rings are black. Target No. B-8...

: : So, yes, the reduced-distance (50 ft, 20 yd, and 25 yd)slow fire targets are black to the seven ring.
: : And yes, the 25-yard and 50-yard bulls are not in exact proportion, but, with your concentration being on the front sight and its alignment within the rear sight, that difference should not be a distraction to you ;-)
: : Regards,
: : Mike T.

: : : Mike,

: : : At my club we shoot bullseye on two targets which have the same size bull, including seven ring for precision, but only nine and ten for timed and rapid. The rings are much larger on the timed/rapid target. We are shooting both at the same distance, so I figured that the precision was scaled to reproduce the visual effect of a target at twice the distance, but with more rings black.

: : : Now the target described in the rule book is 5.54 inches to the nine, but only 8 inches to the eight. The latter is less than twice the diameter of the former, but placed at twice the distance. Does this mean that one bull looks smaller than the other when you are shooting?

: : : Best Regards,
: : : Gordon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive