TargetShooting Canada

Re: Staying in hotels with your competition guns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark B. (142.46.8.34) on February 06, 2009 at 11:08:25:

In Reply to: Staying in hotels with your competition guns posted by Jason on February 03, 2009 at 08:44:39:

I asked this same question of the CFC with respect to taking my restricted firearms to a match. The CFC's answer was that if they were being transported to the match under the auspices of an ATT then at any time within the time limits stated on the ATT those firearms were considered to be "in transport" and thus were legally possessed while their owner was staying in a hotel in association with the match. Storage requirements do not need to be met since the firearm cannot legally be "stored" and "transported" at the same time. This being the case, locks/cases etc are those required for transport, not storage.

Of course, that's ONE interpretation from CFC. What a local uneducated cop might think is an entirely different game, and all bets are off when dealing with cops since they generally know far less about firearms legislation than good law-abiding firearms owners know. We've got far more at stake than they have, hence the disparity in knowledge.
=================
: So the title says it all -- what's it like? Are there any hotel chains who won't let you bring your guns into your room or even the hotel itself? And I'm only talking about Canada here.

: I may be traveling this weekend to a match and am wondering what I may have to deal with. Of course the rifle will be in a locked case with a trigger lock and the bolt stored elsewhere. Thanks!

: Jason

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive