TargetShooting Canada

Re: how to become a coach.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick (99.255.198.164) on February 02, 2009 at 02:36:44:

In Reply to: how to become a coach. posted by HIMANSHU on February 01, 2009 at 18:36:54:

: what do we need to become a coach in air rifle shooting. Is there any age limit , need experience in shooting ,do we need something, any course from collage/university course?.............please consider landed immigrants.

Hello Himanshu.

To become a coach, it depends upon your goals. Anyone can coach anyone else in Canada. Just convince someone else that you are knowledgable and you are a coach. Certification is irrelevant as a personal coach, as long as you have the confidence of your athlete.

If you want to be a provincial coach at the Canada Games, you must be certified at least as a NCCP Level 3 coach in the discipline that you support. The province can ask for an exemption if a Level 3 coach is unavailable, but a Level 2 coach is working toward their Level 3.

Currently, there are no head coaches for the National Rifle and Pistol teams, so the criteria there is irrelevant.

To become certified, you must attend a technical coaching certification course. For rifle in Ontario, Richard Lanning is a certified instructor. I believe that you know him. As well, you must attend coaching ethory courses. These are available through the Coaching Association of Ontario. I am a certified learning facilitator for this group, and I can deliver the Introduction to Competition Part A, as well as the Part B.

The third part of coaching certification revolves around practical application of technical coaching knowledge. One would have to be evaluated coaching in action, or by submitting a coaching report, depending upon the discipline. As mentioned previously, Richard Lanning is the rifle instructor, and he would be an ideal person to observe the coach in action.

Landed immigrants have equal opportunities as coaches in Canada. I would even suggest that qualified coaching candidates have an advantage in Canada. There are so few coaches, that anyone with appropriate knowledge and skills would find many athletes looking for coaching.

I hope that this answers your question on coaching.

Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive