TargetShooting Canada

Re: Walther SSP Ammo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike T. (205.250.6.46) on November 08, 2008 at 12:29:57:

In Reply to: Walther SSP Ammo posted by Dale C on November 03, 2008 at 18:55:04:

The SSP is still relatively scarce in Canada, so there might not be any other readers here who have one. Certainly, I don't. Nevertheless, based upon my experience with Walther GSP and KSP 200 and several other models of .22 calibre target pistols, I'll offer some thoughts:
Just about any standard velocity .22 long rifle ammunition will shoot well in the SSP. Certainly the well-known European brands that are available in Canada (Lapua, Eley, RWS, Fiocchi) will work. I also would expect that the Mexican-made PMC Scoremaster, Fiocchi, and Eley would work well. I would also expect that the American-made standard velocity offerings from CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester would work well - with the caveat that CCI rounds tend to have an overall length longer than any of the others and can 'hang-up' in some magazines (notably Pardini's). As well, Remington Target and Winchester T22 seem to elicit reports that they misfire more frequently than other brands.
I understand that the SSP has an adjustable buffer that can be 'tuned' for the relative energy of the ammo being used (soft, mild, hard).

Why not buy some 50-round boxes of different brands and try them?
You absolutely do not need to buy the top-of-the-line stuff (Tenex, Midas, and such). Sure, they usually are more accurate in a machine-rest test (but not always) than the less expensive brands, but you do not need that 'extra'accuracy in a pistol (at least not in Standard Pistol or Rapid Fire Pistol), especially if you are just starting out in pistol shooting.
If you still desire feedback from SSP owners, you could try posting on Target Talk (www.targettalk.org)
Hope this helps some.
Mike T.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive