TargetShooting Canada

Canada Winter Games Rant

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick (74.98.147.147) on February 07, 2007 at 23:04:18:

Hi.

Apparently, someone in Canada doesn't support Junior athletes shooting internationally. Yes, they want to intimidate Canadian athletes from going abroad and competing, gaining experience and becoming better shooters. Well, isn't that pathetic.

I've been informed by a couple of sources that there is an effort afoot to exclude an athlete from Ontario, because they competed at a world cup. I think that I know the athletes of which they speak, and yes, they did compete at a world cup. It doesn't matter.

Unlike this "source", I've read the rules. I've spoken with the Canada Games staff. I am not ignorant.

The rules regarding exclusion are as follows:

================================================

Excluded from the Canada Games are:

a) Athletes who have held C or Senior cards (as defined by Sport Canada's Athlete Assistance program) at any time;

b) Athletes who have been National Senior Team members (as defined by the Shooting Federation of Canada and approved by the Canada Games Council) at any time;

c) Athletes who have competed for any nation at any senior Pan American Games, Commonwealth Games, Olympic Games or senior World Championships.

No athlete can be rendered ineligible within 90 days of the opening of the Games due to carding status or national team status (i.e., no athlete will be excluded if they become National Senior Team members for the first time or are granted carding status after December 23, 2006).

================================================

So, now we all know the rules. For background, a senior world championship is not a world cup. They are different. My pistol athletes have not attended such.

Consequently, would whoever is spreading these STUPID rumours please shutup and focus on developing competitive opportunities for our Canadian juniors, as opposed to shortsighted BS tactics which only hurt the kids.

Grow up, for heaven's sake.

Patrick Haynes

PS: Please go on about your business. Nothing to see here, folks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive