TargetShooting Canada

Traveling with KLM with(out)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Asmir (47.248.0.45) on January 11, 2007 at 14:34:43:

I had recently traveled with KLM. Unfortunately, without my rifles, as I was not allowed to check them in for my flight.
What I found out the hard way, was that a declaration from Dutch customs is required prior to check in. This, is not easily obtainable info, of course, as I would had acquired this document prior to my flight otherwise. By going to the klm.com an by selecting Canada or US you will be redirected to NWA web site, which is what I did. I had followed their firearms policy as specified, but it never mentioned this customs declaration. I had also called in to confirm my flight and inform them about extra piece of luggage and the fact that I was traveling with firearms. The person I spoke with did not mention any additional requirements other then standard packaging or firearms and ammo limits. By calling in I thought I was safe and had covered all the basis. I had traveled many times with rifles and never had any issues as such.
I did not settle for just a simple no, and had called Dutch customs, customs at Amsterdam airport as well as head of security office at Amsterdam airport. None of the people I spoke with knew what declaration I was talking about. To make the long story short, I would ask your friends who had traveled before with a certain airline if it has any special policies on firearms on top of the info available thru the website and info line.
Of course, I will never travel with KLM more, but I hope that for any of you traveling with KLM with your firearms will find this info might be useful.
Asmir

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive