TargetShooting Canada

Re: Anyone else?, please recommend .20 calibur @1000 fps for hunting, Thanks again Kevin!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wrestler (72.60.149.236) on October 08, 2006 at 16:05:51:

In Reply to: Re: Anyone else?, please recommend .20 calibur @1000 fps for hunting posted by Kevin on October 07, 2006 at 22:43:16:

Thanks again Kevin, glad to have confirmation on Diana and Beeman, Internet sites often provide poor indications of the quality of a product. I'll be sure to check out those ballistic sites... but i'd better do a few things around the house before my wife decides she has a use for a rifle... ha ha ha.
all the best.

: The most powerful springer out there is the Webley Patriot. The Diana 48/50/52's and RX-2 are great choices... very well built and they'll give lots of power. Straight shooters (www.straightshooters.com) has good data on velocities of some popular models with various pellets. For ballistics... try searching for Chairgun... it's a free ballistics calculator for airguns.

:
: : Thanks Kevin, I really!!! appreciate the help.
: : I prefer flat shooting rifles, thus the .177 or .20 was what I was first considering and I do not want to have to precharge or buy CO2 cylinders, so I will stick to spring or gas spring. I expect to sight it in at 50 yrds.
: : My other rifle is the most economical moose rifle .308 and cartridges cost $1.50-$2.50 a shot and I don't expect the cost of .20 pellets to be anywhere close to that.
: : As a child (in the 60's) I first used a friend's .177 pellet rifle from Trinidad and it far surpassed the rifles the other kids had. While standing I would consistantly shoot 1-1.5 inch groups with the cheep lead pellets at 70 yards and it had the power to kill partridge at that range.
: : (pellet guns are the primary hunting tool in Trinidad, since parrots are the main game bird)
: : I wish the air rifle manufactures posted balistic info at 50-100 yrds to compare the flat shooting and hitting power at that range like the gun powder ammo dealers do.
: : I expect there are better performing guns now, but don't know which, and which are the better quality guns and which manufactures are truthfull about the power.
: : I like the idea of the under-lever, but unsure if I can screw a swivel into the forestock to hold a sling. I must attach a sling since I will primarily use it when I come across a partridge while I am moose, deer and bear hunting:
: : Thus, I then like Diana's side lever the best so far since I figure I can attach a swivel mount to the barrel.

: : I've done a little more research since my last post and these are the guns and the specs they advertise, that I think best without costing too much $$$:
: : Diana Model 48, side lever, .22 @790 fps
: : Diana 300R, under lever, 7shot repeater, .177 @900 fps
: : Gamo CFX, under lever, .177 @ 1000 fps
: : Beeman RX-2 break barrel, under lever, .20 @950 fps
: : Beeman GS 1000, break barrel, .177 @ 1000 fps, .22 @ 775 fps

: : I like the Theoben SLR with gas ram system or their evolution but it seems too expensive and less power than the other manufactures, unless Theoben is the only truthful advertiser.

: : Thanks again, Kevin and if anyone else can make a suggestion, please do.

: : wrestler.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive