TargetShooting Canada

Re: Anyone else?, please recommend .20 calibur @1000 fps for hunting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin ( on October 07, 2006 at 22:43:16:

In Reply to: Anyone else?, please recommend .20 calibur @1000 fps for hunting posted by wrestler - thanks Kevin on October 07, 2006 at 22:19:57:

The most powerful springer out there is the Webley Patriot. The Diana 48/50/52's and RX-2 are great choices... very well built and they'll give lots of power. Straight shooters ( has good data on velocities of some popular models with various pellets. For ballistics... try searching for Chairgun... it's a free ballistics calculator for airguns.

: Thanks Kevin, I really!!! appreciate the help.
: I prefer flat shooting rifles, thus the .177 or .20 was what I was first considering and I do not want to have to precharge or buy CO2 cylinders, so I will stick to spring or gas spring. I expect to sight it in at 50 yrds.
: My other rifle is the most economical moose rifle .308 and cartridges cost $1.50-$2.50 a shot and I don't expect the cost of .20 pellets to be anywhere close to that.
: As a child (in the 60's) I first used a friend's .177 pellet rifle from Trinidad and it far surpassed the rifles the other kids had. While standing I would consistantly shoot 1-1.5 inch groups with the cheep lead pellets at 70 yards and it had the power to kill partridge at that range.
: (pellet guns are the primary hunting tool in Trinidad, since parrots are the main game bird)
: I wish the air rifle manufactures posted balistic info at 50-100 yrds to compare the flat shooting and hitting power at that range like the gun powder ammo dealers do.
: I expect there are better performing guns now, but don't know which, and which are the better quality guns and which manufactures are truthfull about the power.
: I like the idea of the under-lever, but unsure if I can screw a swivel into the forestock to hold a sling. I must attach a sling since I will primarily use it when I come across a partridge while I am moose, deer and bear hunting:
: Thus, I then like Diana's side lever the best so far since I figure I can attach a swivel mount to the barrel.

: I've done a little more research since my last post and these are the guns and the specs they advertise, that I think best without costing too much $$$:
: Diana Model 48, side lever, .22 @790 fps
: Diana 300R, under lever, 7shot repeater, .177 @900 fps
: Gamo CFX, under lever, .177 @ 1000 fps
: Beeman RX-2 break barrel, under lever, .20 @950 fps
: Beeman GS 1000, break barrel, .177 @ 1000 fps, .22 @ 775 fps

: I like the Theoben SLR with gas ram system or their evolution but it seems too expensive and less power than the other manufactures, unless Theoben is the only truthful advertiser.

: Thanks again, Kevin and if anyone else can make a suggestion, please do.

: wrestler.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive