TargetShooting Canada

Re: Club membership fees too high!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by gordon (70.82.146.159) on August 19, 2006 at 22:32:39:

In Reply to: Re: Club membership fees too high! posted by Grant on August 15, 2006 at 09:11:55:

Grant,

My own province of quebec is clearly not a leader on this front. I have been told that help might be forthcoming ... if I were a national team member! Not exactly entry level assistance:)

But then shooting is almost taboo here to begin with.

gordon

: : Look into funds available through your provincial disabled sport associations. Most disabled athletes can access support to help offset the cost involved to enter sports or to help with ongoing match fees, equipment, etc. As to the cost of club fees I am a director of our local club and I believe you will find most clubs are operating at just above a break even basis unless they are putting funds away for a future move or improvements.

: Grant

: : It would seem you have two issues here. Financial and accessibility. I would like to point out that both issues are mutally exclusive.

: : There are plenty of able bodied employed shooters that have difficulties with the cost of the sport. There are also disable shooters who can afford to participate in this sport without problems. I personally know shooters on both sides of the fence. If you feel the club(s) you want to join are not fair in their pricing, you will have to take it up with them. Either by inquiring for discount, or asking if they get grants from the government. Being on the executive of a local club, I can see that costs for running the club aren't cheap. Comparing the cost of other recreation, I would say shooting is quite inexpensive.

: : Accessibility again is an issue you will have to raise. My local range is wheelchair accessible. If there are grants you know about, perhaps you should make the clubs aware of them.

: : I don't perceive that shooting has become "an elitist" sport and haven't seen anything like that locally. As previously mentioned, there are plenty of local disabled shooters and they are welcome at the club. My perception is there are more shooters on the lower end of the pay scale.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive