TargetShooting Canada

Re: short air pistol

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick (70.28.154.59) on August 14, 2006 at 16:59:33:

In Reply to: short air pistol posted by nano on August 14, 2006 at 12:23:00:

: My trainner say to me, the short pistols are not accurate than regular air pistols (with longest barrel).

Hi Nano.

For all intents and purposes, there is no practical difference in the accuracy of comparable pistols, one being short and one being long (i.e. the Morini 162EI Short vs the Morini 162EI Long.)

As mentioned in your post, many of the world's top shooters are using the shorts. That speaks volumes. Trust me: they wouldn't knowingly cheat themselves out of a few points.

A shorter sight radius does create a higher possibility of multiplication errors due to angular errors in sighting. Buying a longer barrel won't fix this, but proper sighting will.

Pluses of a shorter barrel:
1. Less perceived wobble (due to shoter sight radius), which may give you greater confidence in your hold while shooting.

2. Less weight in a short. Easier for everyone, especially those with a small frame, to hold them up.

3. Point of balance is shifted backwards into your hand. If you find a Long tip heavy, switch to a short.

I think the long versus short barrel is a throwback argument from the revolver days of snubbies versus full sized frames. When it comes down to competition guns, the difference doesn't hold up.

Essentially, it always comes down to the way it feels in your hand. If its comfortable and points easy, buy it. You won't regret it.

Take care.
Patrick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive