TargetShooting Canada

Re: Club membership fees too high!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by gordon (70.82.146.159) on August 12, 2006 at 12:53:51:

In Reply to: Club membership fees too high! posted by Michael Barnhart on August 12, 2006 at 01:08:14:

I think we should all take a moment to reflect on the situation of someone who has been a productive tax payer and then suddenly finds himself, through no fault of his own, in straightened circumstances.

There is no magic solution here.

Our society no longer makes a distinction between the "derserving" poor and the other sort. We collectively attempt to provide for all. Naturally that is very expensive, and only the most basic needs can be met.

On the positive side, we can be proud that our roads are not infested with indigent beggars and people are not generally working as servants for mere food handouts. A century or two ago, this was the other way around.

As for disabled subsidies, the sad fact is that the lions share of money goes as salaries to all of the people running the programs. This is the curse of government. If success is evaluated on a project per dollar basis the results are abysmal.

Therefore, society can and will do only so much. Beyond that, each club will do what they think they can or should. I am pleased to say that my club is carrying senior members who are not in a position to pay. We believe that it would be quite contrary to the fraternal spirit to ask people who have contributed throught the years to simply get lost because they are no longer able to pay.

Life is hard, and not neccesarily fair.

There are no easy fixes.

And yes, it is not a question of handicaps. anybody with the money or energy to support his club should make it a point of honor to do so, regardless of age or health considerations.

-gordon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Post Your Followup Message
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Targetshooting Canada Discussion Board ] [ FAQ ]

TargetShooting Canada - Copyright 2001: Patrick Haynes
www.TargetShooting.ca

Home

Scripts and WWWBoard created by Matt Wright and can be found at Matt's Script Archive